Paal Paniyaram is a simple sweet and can be prepared easily. Deep fried rice-urad dal balls are soaked in sweet milk. It can be ordinary milk or coconut milk or mixture of both. Here I have prepared it with ordinary milk. I boiled the milk to make it thick to get nice taste of the dish.
Milk is known as Paal in Tamil.
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Urad dal – 1 cup
- Milk – 1 litre
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Cardamom powder – pinch
- Salt – pinch
- Oil – for frying
- Soak rice and urad dal for 2 to 3 hours; grind it with salt to a smooth paste, so that it can absorb milk when soaked in milk after deep frying (this should not be too thick or too thin).
- Boil milk in a wide pan; let it reduce in volume to half approximately; then add sugar, cardamom powder and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan; shape rice-dal paste into small balls with wet hands and deep fry them.
- Add this in warm milk.
- Soak it for 15 minutes and then serve.
- Deep fried rice-urad dal balls can also be soaked in coconut milk.