Cooking time: 25 to 30 minutes approximately
- Milk – 1 litre (five cups)
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Broken rice or rice rava (used for rice upma) – 2 table spoon
- Cardamom – 6 no
- Cashew nut – few
- Raisins – few
- Ghee – 1 tea spoon
- Powder the cardamom; in a heavy bottom pan, take some ghee, fry cashew nuts and raisins separately.
- In the remaining ghee, add broken rice rava and fry till golden in colour.
- Add milk, water, mix well and bring to boil; cook in low flame till the milk and water mix reduce to half in volume; it takes around 20 minutes; keep stirring in regular intervals.
- In these 20 minutes, rice rava gets cooked well; add sugar, mix well, cook for 3 to 5 minutes in low flame; adjust consistency as per your choice.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well; garnish with cashew and raisins.
- serve hot or cold.
- Rice rava cooks easily and you get a creamy texture in payasam.
This post is part of “Fall in Love (FIL) – Milk” event organised by Sanghi’s Food Delights! using milk as the main ingredient.