Here is Pachai Milagai (Hari Mirch) Thokku (Green Chilli Spread). This goes well with curd rice and snacks. This hot spicy thokku is easy to prepare and can be kept for months in fridge.
Green Chilli is known as Pachai Milagai in Tamil and as Hari Mirch in Hindi.
- Green chilli – 25 to 30 no
- Tamarind – lemon size (adjust as per hotness of chilli)
- Salt – as per taste
- Asafetida powder – ½ tea spoon
- Sugar – 1 to 2 table spoon (optional)
- For seasoning
- Mustard – 1 tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Sesame oil – 4 to 6 table spoon
- Wash green chillies and remove the stem; add this in a blender with salt, asafetida powder, tamarind and grind it to a fine paste (if needed add little water).
- Heat a heavy bottom pan with oil and do the seasoning; add the ground green chilli paste, cook in moderate flame by stirring in between (add remaining oil little by little as necessary).
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or till the color changes to dark blackish green; remove the mix when it leaves the sides of the pan or when it forms as a thick paste.
- Hot and spicy Pachai Milagai (Hari Mirch) Thokku (Green Chilli Spread) is ready. Suits well with Curd Rice, Idli, Dosa etc.,
- Cool it and store in air-tight container.
- Use good quality asafetida as it gives nice flavor to thokku. Sugar helps to balance the taste.