Palak, a type spinach is available in the market most of the times. Any dish with palak tastes nice. I use palak to prepare Palak Paneer, Aloo Palak, Palak Burji, Soup. Red gram is also known as Pigeon Pea. It is called as Tuvaram Paruppu in Tamil and as Toor Dal in Hindi. This is one of the most commonly used grocery item daily in south India. This dal is used to prepare Sambar, Adai, Usili etc.,
Here I have prepared Palak with Toor Dal. It is easy to prepare and is liked by all in my family.
Cooking time: 30 minutes approximately
- Palak cleaned and cut – 1 bundle
- Toor dal – ¾ cup
- Onion chopped – 1 no
- Tomato chopped – 2 no
- Ginger garlic paste – ½ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – ½ tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tea spoon
- Roasted cumin and pepper (mixed equally) powder – ½ tea spoon
- Garam masala powder – ½ tea spoon
- Salt – as per your taste
- For seasoning
- Cumin seed – ½ tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – ½ tea spoon
- Boil toor dal well; mash and keep.
- Heat a pan with oil and do the seasoning; add chopped onion and fry till transparent; add tomatoes, ginger garlic paste and cook till soft; add all dry masalas, salt and mix well; add the cut palak and cook till palak is soft; palak takes very less time to cook.
- Now add boiled toor dal and one cup of water (or adjust consistency as per your choice); boil for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve with rice or chappati.
- This can also be prepared with split green gram.