Jackfruit seed is known as Palakottai in Tamil.
- Skinned and cut jackfruit seeds – 2 cup
- Onion chopped – 1 no
- Green chilli chopped – 3 no
- Ginger chopped – 1 tea spoon
- Grated coconut – 2 table spoon
- Lemon juice – few drops
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Bengal gram – 1 tea spoon
- Red chilli – 2 no
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 2 tea spoon
Here are washed, cut, skin peeled jackfruit seeds.
- Boil jackfruit seeds with little salt, turmeric powder.
- Drain water, cool it and mash the seeds partially.
- Heat oil in a pan and do the seasoning; add chopped green chilli, curry leaves and fry.
- Add chopped onion, ginger, salt and fry till onion is roasted well.
- Add mashed jackfruit seeds, grated coconut and mix well; fry for few seconds.
- Add lemon juice, mix well and remove.
- Palakottai (Jackfruit Seed) Podimas is now ready.
- The most boring job in preparing this dish is the removal of the white skin from the seeds. But after cutting it vertically in two parts, the white skin can be removed easily. It can be boiled thereafter.