Paneer achari is a dish flavored with spices used in pickle. My family likes this dish because of the flavor provided by the nigella sativa seeds and fennel seeds used in this dish. This is one of the best side dish for roti and naan.
Nigella sativa seeds (or Black Seeds) are known as Karum Jeeragam (கருஞ்சீரகம்) in Tamil and as Kalonji in Hindi.
- Paneer/cottage cheese (cut into cubes) – 400 grams
- Big onion – 1 no
- Green chilli – 3 no
- Fresh curd – 2 to 3 tablespoon
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
- Corn flour – 1 teaspoon
- Chilli flakes – half teaspoon
- Chilli powder – half teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – half teaspoon
- Sugar – half teaspoon
- Asafetida – general pinch
- Lemon juice – few drops
- Coriander leaves – few to garnish
- Salt – as needed
- Mustard oil – 1 tablespoon
- Spices to roast and crush coarsely
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Nigella seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek – quarter teaspoon
- Mustard – half teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – half teaspoon
- Black pepper – 15 no
- Add curd, salt, sugar, turmeric powder with paneer; mix well and keep it for 30 minutes.
- Chop onion and green chilli; dry roast the ingredients given for few seconds (or till you feel nice aroma of the spices).
- Crush the roasted spices partially.
- Heat a pan with mustard oil; add chopped onion, salt and fry till soft and transparent.
- Add chilli flakes, chilli powder, ginger-garlic paste and fry for few minutes.
- Add green chilli, marinated paneer; fry in low flame for few seconds.
- Add crushed spices, asafetida and mix well.
- Sprinkle corn flavor, lemon juice and fry for few seconds or till curd dries up (take care to avoid over cooking of paneer).
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
Here are some more dishes using paneer:
- Main Course: Paneer (Cottage Cheese) Stuffed Paratha.
- Side Dish – Curry: Malai Kasuri Methi Mutter Paneer Curry, Stuffed Paneer Koftas in Coconut Gravy, Paneer Potato Spicy Curry, Paneer (Cottage Cheese) Mutter Curry, Palak Paneer (Cottage Cheese) with Spinach.
- Side Dish – Fry/Baked: Paneer Stuffed Banana Pepper, Paneer (Cottage Cheese) Finger Fry, Paneer Stuffed Baked Tomato, Pan Fried Paneer Tikka.
- Salad: Paneer, Peas, Corn Salad in Tomato Baskets.