Salads are our family’s favorite item. Especially during festive time when I am busy, attending family’s need is also a must. Therefore, for quick and healthy cooking, salads are my choice. During Festive time, I avoid onion in salads. This salad I prepare often, as my family likes paneer, peas and corn very much. I tried to garnish it for Nithya – Pavithra’s Innovative In-Laws “Garnish the Dish” event.
To prepare this salad I took 15 minutes. However, for carving vegetables, it took 2 hours, as we are not masters in this art. Finally, I took my daughter’s help; she only did the vegetable carvings successfully. This salad contains corn to substitute carbohydrate, paneer and peas for protein substitute and tomato, carrot, cucumber for vegetable substitute.
Cooking time: 15 minutes other than garnishing
- Fresh Paneer – 200 gm
- American sweet corn and frozen peas mixed – 1 cup
- Carrot – 1 no
- Capsicum – you need only a small piece for carving leaf
- Cucumber – 1 no
- Lemon – 1 no
- Tomato – 4 no
- Roasted cumin powder – ½ tea spoon
- Black pepper powder – ½ tea spoon
- Chat masala – ½ tea spoon (optional)
- Salt – as per your choice
- Cooking oil – ½ tea spoon
- Wash, peel cucumber and carrot; do carvings as shown; wash tomato and do the carvings like basket; do carving in capsicum like leaves; make a rose with tomato skin.
- Boil corn and peas with little salt, drain and keep; cut paneer into small pieces; mix paneer pieces, boiled peas, corn, oil, salt, cumin powder, pepper powder, chat masala and lemon juice; toss and keep.
- Now fill tomato baskets with salad, arrange as you like and serve.
- Use sharp knife for carving.
- Do not attempt carving vegetables if you are in a hurry.
This post is part of the event “Garnish the Dish” organised by Nithya and Pavithra.
Update: October 15
Thanks to Innovative In-Laws for selecting and giving an award “Winner: In-Laws Choice” to this post.