Any dish made out of paneer (cottage cheese) is tasty and delicious. I use paneer regularly to prepare Pan Fried Paneer Tikka, Paneer Mutter Curry, Palak Paneer, Paneer Stuffed Paratha and also use it in Salad.
Here I have prepared ‘Paneer Potato Spicy Curry’ as paneer and potato are a lovely combination as both adapt the flavor of whatsoever masala we use in them. I prepared this dish using only fresh spices to add rich taste. This recipe is more suitable when we like to have some hot spicy food and goes well with rice and chappati.
Cooking time: 40 minutes approximately
- Paneer cut into pieces – 400 gm
- Potato cut into cubes – 3 no
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Onion – ½ chopped (remaining ½ for grinding masala)
- Green chilli slit – 2 no
- Coriander leaves – few
- Cumin seeds – ½ tea spoon (for seasoning)
- Cooking oil – to shallow fry paneer and potato
- For grinding – A
- Cinnamon – small piece
- Cloves – 2
- Aniseeds – ¼ tea spoon
- Black pepper – ¼ tea spoon
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tea spoon
- Poppy seeds – ¼ tea spoon
- Coriander seeds – 1 table spoon
- Coconut grated – ½ to ¾ cup
- Green cardamom – 1 or 2 no
- Red chilli – 2 to 3 no
- For Grinding – B
- Ginger – ½ inch long grated
- Garlic – 4 to 5 pods
- Onion – ½ chopped
- Tomato – 2 chopped
- Curry leaves – few
- Shallow fry paneer and potato separately with ¼ tea spoon of turmeric powder to light golden colour.
- Fry and wet grind group A and group B masala separately.
- Heat a pan with one tea spoon oil, add cumin seeds, then onion, slit green chilli and salt; fry till onion is golden in colour; add both ground masala (A and B) items and fry for few seconds; add two cups of water, bring to boil, add shallow fried potato and paneer; cook for 3 minutes; garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with hot rice or chappati.
Use fresh paneer.
This post is part of the event “JFI- Paneer (November 2009)” hosted by Cardamom of The Spice Who Loved Me.