Paruppu Sadam is a quick and tasty recipe. Toddlers can be given the same food what we eat, but with less spices and less oil. They love to eat food with different flavour and aroma. Traditional paruppu sadam given to children has rice and lentil. Here I have prepared paruppu sadam that is different to attract children. It is healthy, nutritious, tasty and is suitable for 12 to 36 months old children. Even other age groups will find it tasty.
- Rice – ½ cup
- Toor dal – 1 table spoon
- Finely chopped pieces of tomato, onion, coriander leaves – 1 tea spoon each
- Finely chopped garlic and curry leaves – very few just for flavor
- One or two drops of ghee (optional)
- Turmeric powder – pinch
- Asafetida – pinch
- Salt – as per taste
- Put all given items except ghee in a pressure cooker with 2 cups of water; keep for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Allow it to cool and mash well; add some water if needed, add ghee and serve to toddlers warm.
For elders add some pieces of green chilli and cook.
This post is part of the event ‘Food for 7 stages of Life – Cooking for Infants and Toddlers (0-3 yrs)’ hosted by Food for 7 stages of Life and Cook Like a Bong.