Paruppu Rasam is a well known rasam, prepared often at home. As less spices are used, it is loved by most of the people. Boiled toor dal is the major ingredient in this rasam, in addition to tomato, green chilli, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
Pigeon Pea is known as Thuvaram Paruppu in Tamil and as Toor Dal in Hindi.
- Boiled and mashed toor dal – ¼ cup
- Tomato – 2 no
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Tamarind – marble size (adjust as per taste)
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Rasam powder – 1 table spoon (how to prepare rasam powder is here at Rasa Podi – Rasam Powder)
- Curry and coriander leaves – few
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Cumin seed – ½ tea spoon
- Ghee – ½ tea spoon
- Soak tamarind in little water and extract the juice; chop tomato, green chilli, curry and coriander leaves.
- In two cups of water (tamarind juice plus normal water), add chopped tomato, green chilli, curry leaves, turmeric powder, rasam powder and salt.
- Boil this till raw smell of tamarind leaves and tomatoes are cooked; now add boiled dal, two cups of water (adjust taste of salt and consistency now).
- Cook till foam forms and bubbles start coming from the surface; just before boiling, add coriander leaves and remove; do the seasoning and mix.
- Serve hot with rice or serve as soup/appetizer.