Ridge gourd (Peerkankai in Tamil) is a delicate vegetable. While peeling it, almost 30 to 40 percent of the vegetable comes out as a waste. More over most of the vitamins are under the vegetable skin only. Instead of throwing the peeled skin, tasty thuvayal can be prepared easily.
- Peeled skin from 4 Ridge gourds
- Ginger – 1½ inch long
- Red chilli – 3 no
- Green chilli – 3 no
- Tamarind – marble size (adjust according to your taste)
- Asafetida – pinch
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil– 1 tea spoon
- Cut the ridge gourd skin into small pieces; chop ginger.
- Heat a pan with oil, fry red chilli, green chilli, ginger, tamarind and remove; in the same pan now fry ridge gourd skin and cook in low flame for 10 minutes; stir in between and sprinkle handful of water; cook till the ridge gourd skin is soft; allow it to cool; grind all items with salt in blender.
- Tasty Peerkankai (Ridge Gourd) Thuvayal is ready and suits well with rice.
- Wash nicely and then peel the skin of ridge gourd.
- Can be preserved in refrigerator for 4 to 5 days