Whenever I cook ridge gourd, I make use of the skin to prepare a chutney as most of the vitamins are beneath the skin of the vegetable. Here is Peerkankai Thengai (Ridge Gourd Coconut) Chutney. This differs from my earlier Peerkankai (Ridge Gourd) Thuvayal that does not use coconut as ingredient.
Ridge Gourd is known as Peerkankai in Tamil and as Tori in Hindi. Coconut is known as Thengai in Tamil and as Nariyal in Hindi.
- Ridge gourd skin chopped – 2 cup
- Coconut pieces – ½ cup
- Red chilli – 2 no
- Urad dal – handful
- Mustard – ⅙ tea spoon
- Asafetida powder – pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Tamarind – as per taste
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 1 tea spoon
Here is ridge gourd and its peeled skin.
- Heat a pan with few drops oil; add mustard seeds, urad dal, asafetida powder and red chilli; when roasted add coconut pieces, curry leaves and fry well; remove and keep; add remaining oil, chopped ridge gourd pieces and fry for few minutes in low flame; stir in between, keep cooking till the pieces are well roasted and cooked.
- Cool all the fried items; in a mixer take all fried items (except ridge gourd); add tamarind and grind it to coarse powder.
- Now add ridge gourd pieces, little water and grind to a coarse paste.
- Remove and serve as a side dish for rice and snacks.
- Add water and adjust consistency as per your requirement (I like it is as a coarse paste).