Roasted Bengal gram is known as Pottu Kadalai in Tamil and is also known as chutney dal or fried channa. This is one of the commonly found item in the grocery list of all houses in Tamil Nadu. This is used with coconut in most of the chutneys and also to make some sweets and snacks. Here I have prepared a tasty Thuvayal with Pottu Kadalai.
At times there is a confusion between Chutney and Thuvayal (also called as Thugayal). The difference I feel is, Chutney is semi solid or watery and Thuvayal is thick. Chutney needs seasoning and Thuvayal needs no seasoning.
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Fried Channa (roasted Bengal gram) – 2 table spoon
- Coconut – 2 pieces
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Garlic – 2 pods
- Salt – according to taste
- Chop and grind all the given items, with little water.
- Can be served with Variety Rice, Dosa, Idli, Kanji.
- If you want you can grind without coconut also or reduce coconut quantity.
- Those who don’t like garlic, can replace it with pinch of asafoetida.