Tamarind is Puli in Tamil and Imli in Hindi.
Cooking time: 20 minutes approximately
- Rice flour – 3 cup
- Turmeric powder – ½ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 tea spoon
- Tamarind – lemon size (adjust as per your taste)
- Salt – as per your taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Red chilli – 2 no
- Curry leaves – few
- Asafetida – one generous pinch
- Oil – 2 table spoon
- Soak tamarind and extract the juice; add rice flour, salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and mix well; add water if needed and make a batter neither thick nor watery.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan or non- stick pan and do the seasoning.
- Pour the batter, stir well; close and cook; stir in between.
- Keep cooking till the rice flour scrambles well; this may take at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- If you use a ordinary pan you may need some more oil but for non-stick pan the given oil will do.
- Puli Upma is ready. Serve hot with any chutney.
- Ready to use tamarind pulp/paste can also be used in this Upma.