Pumpkin gives us more health benefits but we consume it less as compared to any other vegetables. Pumpkin is loaded with anti-oxidants, beta-carotene and other minerals. It has more water content in it. Pumpkin is used in many ways in cooking in kootu, poriyal etc.,.
Here is Pumpkin (Parangikai/Kaddu) Spread. This can be used as a spread on bread, chapatti, dosai etc.
Pumpkin is known as Parangikai (பரங்கிக்காய்) in Tamil and as Kaddu in Hindi.
- Pumpkin – 500 grams
- Onion small – 1 no
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Chilli flakes – half teaspoon (adjust as per sweetness of pumpkin)
- Turmeric powder – quarter teaspoon
- Eggless mayonnaise – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander leaves – few strings
- Salt – as per need
- Cooking oil – 1 tablespoon
- Peel the pumpkin skin and also remove seeds; grate the pumpkin; finely chop onion, green chilli and coriander leaves.
- Grease a pan with oil; add chopped onion, green chilli and coriander leaves; stir for few minutes till onion turns to pink in colour; add grated pumpkin and stir for few seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and chilli flakes; keep cooking in open pan; within few minutes it will be fully cooked and also dry up.
- Allow it to cool; add mayonnaise and mix well.
- Now Pumpkin (Parangikai/Kaddu) Spread is ready to use.