Onion paratha is delicious with onion flavor. Like onion uthappam, stuffed parathas can be made with onion and spices. I mix cumin powder, garam masala powder and dry mango powder in the finely chopped onion for stuffing. I also use boiled potato to bind onion.
My children love this onion flavored parathas. Onion is known as Pyaz in Hindi and as Vengayam in Tamil.
- Onion – 5 no
- Potato – 1 no
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Salt – as per taste
- Garam masala – ½ tea spoon
- Cumuin powder – ½ tea spoon
- Dry mango powder – ½ tea spoon
- For dough
- Whole wheat flour – 2 cup
- Salt – pinch
- Oil – for frying parathas
- Dough for paratha: Knead the flour with enough water; apply few drops of oil on the surface and keep aside.
- Stuffing for paratha: Finely chop onion, green chilli (I did it in food processor); boil potato; add dry masalas, salt and boiled potato; mix them well; now stuffing is ready.
- Stuffing of paratha: Now divide the dough into small parts; take one and shape like a cup; fill the stuffing, close the edges; roll and pat it gently in your palm.
- Sprinkle some dry flour on the rolling board and roll them to a bigger disc.
- Put it on a hot skillet, cook both sides; apply light oil on the surface.
- Repeat the process for remaining dough also. Serve hot with raitha or chutney.
- Here is a partly peeled paratha to show the stuffing inside.
- For 5 to 6 onions, I use one potato for binding.
- Finely chopped spring onion also can be used for stuffing.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!