South Indian meal is incomplete without Rasam. Here is Rasa Podi (Rasam Powder) to prepare certain type of rasams at short notice. Rasam prepared with this powder is aromatic and tasty. Fresh curry and coriander leaves are not necessary to prepare rasam with this powder as dried coriander and curry leaves are used in this rasam powder.
- Toor dal – 1 heaped table spoon
- Black pepper – 1 heaped table spoon
- Cumin seed – 1 heaped table spoon
- Coriander seed – 1 heaped table spoon
- Red chilli – 12 no
- Dried curry and coriander leaves – few
- Asafetida – small piece
- In a fry pan, dry roast all the given ingredients till crisp (I roasted it in microwave oven).
- Powder it coarsely.
- Rasa podi is ready. Store it in air-tight container, to keep it fresh up to 3 months.
- To prepare rasam, add 1 table spoon of this powder (along with other ingredients), for 5 to 6 cups of rasam.
- Coarse rasam powder helps to get more clear rasam on the surface.
- I used microwave oven to dry curry and coriander leaves after washing. This can be dried in sun light also after washing.
- This podi can also be used in kootu preparations.