Eating raw onion is very good for health. Onions have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant property. Onion is called as Vengayam in Tamil and as Pyaz in Hindi. Onion is available in many varieties and colours like pearl onions, white onions, red onions etc. Like garlic this also has a strong spicy flavour.
In India, we use onion in Salad, Curry, Soup, Pickle and Chutney. Here I have prepared raw onion chutney. It is easy and takes only 5 minutes to prepare.
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Onions chopped – 1 cup
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Tomato sour variety small – 1 no
- Red chilli powder – 1 tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Asafetida – pinch
- Sesame or any edible oil – 1 tea spoon
- Grind together all ingredients except items given for seasoning.
- Heat a pan with oil and do the seasoning; switch off gas; immediately add the ground items, mix well and keep it for two minutes; pan heat is sufficient to lightly cook this chutney.
- Aromatic, tasty Raw Onion Chutney is ready. Serve with any snacks.
- Do not fry this chutney in the pan.