Red or purple cabbage is like the green cabbage only. The colour is due to pH value of the soil. The same cabbage is called in different regions by different names because of this only. It is mostly used in salads, stir fries and believed to be the best medicine in curing ulcers. It is rich in vitamin C than the green variety, with essential vitamins. It is a good source of iron. Red cabbages are known for their phytonutrients and antioxidants.
Cabbage is called as Muttai Kos in Tamil and as Bandh Gobi in Hindi. Here I have prepared Red Cabbage Stir Fry.
Serves: 4 to 5
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Red/Purple cabbage – 500 gram
- Onion – 1 no
- Tomato – 1 no
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Red chilli powder – 1 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 1½ tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 1½ tea spoon
- Wash and chop red cabbage, onion, tomato, green chilli and curry leaves finely.
- Heat a pan with oil and do the seasoning; add chopped onion, green chilli and fry till onion is transparent; add tomato and fry till tomato is soft.
- Add other spices, salt and fry for few seconds.
- Now add cabbage, mix well, sprinkle some water; close and cook; stir in between, sprinkle some more water if required; cook till cabbage is soft and mashable with your fingers.
- Serve hot with rice or chappati.
- White stem in the centre of red cabbage is hard and it will take more time to cook. Chop into very fine pieces and use in this stir fry to cook faster. Otherwise keep it and use it in soups or curries.