Semiya (Vermicelli) Idli is an instant idli that requires no soaking or grinding. Semiya is roasted and added in sour curd with some spices to make idli. I used roasted vermicelli with proportion of vermicelli and curd water mix as 1:1. You can make it more tasty and healthy by adding some vegetables.
Serves: 6 to 8
Cooking time: 45 minutes approximately
- Roasted Semiya – 4 cups
- Sour curd – 4 cups
- American sweet corn – 1 heaped table spoon
- Green peas (frozen) – 1 heaped table spoon
- Carrot chopped – 1 heaped table spoon
- Chopped ginger – 1 table spoon
- Chopped green chilli – 1 table spoon
- Curry and coriander leaves chopped – few
- Cashew nut – few for garnishing (optional)
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Bengal gram – ½ tea spoon
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Black pepper – ½ tea spoon
- Asafetida – pinch
- Oil – 1 table spoon
- Beat curd with 2 cups of water; add semiya and salt and keep it for 20 minutes.
- Add peas, corn, carrot (keep some for garnishing).
- Heat a pan, do the seasoning, add chopped ginger, green chilli, curry leaves, coriander leaves and fry for few seconds; mix this in semiya; fry and keep cashew nut for garnishing.
- Apply some oil in idli mould, fill it up with semia batter and steam cook it for 8 to 10 minutes or till done.
- Garnish and serve hot with Chutney, Sambar.
- If you want still softer Semiya Idli, add more curd in proportion 1:1½ and steam it. Here are photographs without garnishing.
- Sour curd gives better taste.