Here is Simple Spicy Rasam using fresh spices without dal or rasam powder. I tasted this spicy rasam prepared by my mother-in- law just after my marriage and I liked it very much for its spicy taste. Now I prepare this spicy rasam very often. My neighbours easily come to know that I’m preparing this rasam from the aroma of garlic and other spices when I do the seasoning.
- Tomato – 4 no
- Tamarind – marble size (adjust as per your need)
- Turmeric powder – pinch
- Coriander leaves – few strings
- Salt – as per taste
- To grind
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Cumin seeds – ½ tea spoon
- Fenugreek seeds – few
- Red chilli – 2 no
- Curry leaves – few
- Asafetida – generous pinch
- Soak tamarind for 10 minutes, extract juice and keep.
- In a blender add red chilli, pepper, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and grind partially.
- Then add green chilli, garlic, curry leaves and run the mixer once or twice to grind partially.
- Mash tomatoes and mix with salt and turmeric powder; add the ground spices, tamarind juice, 3 cups of water; mix and adjust the taste now.
- Do the seasoning in a pan, add the already prepared spices-tomato-water mix; let it get hot and remove the rasam just before boiling (this can be easily identified by the light yellow foam and air bubbles on the surface); add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice or serve as soup or appetizer.