Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Snake guard (Pudalankai) – 500 gram
- Bengal gram – 1 cup
- Tomato – 1 no
- Onion – 1 no
- Garlic – 4 pods
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Cooking oil – 1 tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For wet grinding
- Coconut grated – 2 table spoon
- Coriander seeds – 1 tea spoon
- Aniseeds – ½ tea spoon
- Cumin seeds – ½ tea spoon
- Pepper – ½ tea spoon
- Red chilli – 2 no
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Asafetida – pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Chop garlic, tomato; wash and boil Bengal gram dal with turmeric powder, chopped garlic, tomato and few drops of oil in a pressure cooker till dal is soft.
- Chop onion and snake gourd nicely and keep aside.
- Fry items given for wet grinding with few drops of oil in a pan; cool and grind it with some water to a paste.
- Heat a pan with oil and do the seasoning; add chopped onion and fry till onion is transparent.
- Now add chopped snake gourd, salt, pinch of turmeric powder and stir for 2 minutes; add half cup water, cover and cook in low flame till snake gourd becomes soft; add wet ground masala, boiled dal and mix well; cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Now Snake Gourd (Pudalankai) and Bengal Gram Kootu is ready. Serve hot with Rice or Chappati.
- In chopped snake gourd add little turmeric powder, pinch of salt, mix well and keep for 10 minutes minimum. Drain accumulated water. This helps to cook snake gourd faster.