Sorghum, Millets are the most important staple foods of Asia and Africa. They are cultivated in hot, dry, low rainfall regions where other crops are difficult to grow. It is healthy to eat sorghum as it is gluten-free and has good amount of minerals.
Here is Sorghum/Jowar/Vellai Cholam Dosa.
Sorghum is known as Jowar in Hindi and as Vellai Cholam (வெள்ளை சோளம்) in Tamil.
- Sorghum /jowar/vellai cholam – 2 cup
- Rice – half cup
- Urad dal/split black gram – half cup
- Fenugreek seeds – quarter teaspoon
- Salt – as per need
- Oil – for greasing dosa pan
- Wash, soak sorghum and rice for 8 hours minimum; wash, soak urad dal and fenugreek for one hour.
- Drain, grind soaked urad dal and fenugreek as a smooth batter.
- Drain, grind soaked sorghum and rice as a smooth batter.
- Add both the batter, add salt and mix well (the consistency has to be like dosa batter); keep this batter for fermentation (it may take 5 to 6 hours).
- Heat a flat pan and grease with oil; spread this batter on the pan; cook both sides like normal dosa.
- Now Sorghum/Jowar/Vellai Cholam Dosa is ready.
- Serve hot with any chutney.