Spicy Coconut Rice (Masala Thengai Sadam – மசாலா தேங்காய் சாதம்) is different from the traditional Coconut Rice (Thengai Sadam). This tastes nice with mild flavour of spices. I used raw rice and normal edible oil for seasoning. This dish can also be tried with basmati rice and ghee for seasoning to get rich taste.
I prepared a smooth paste of grated coconut to use in this rice, as I did not want to waste the coconut fiber. This rice can also be prepared by using coconut milk.
- Raw rice – 2½ cup
- Onion – 2 no
- Green chilli – 4 no
- Cashew – 20 no
- for very smooth wet grinding
- Grated raw coconut – 1½ cup
- Garlic – 6 cloves
- Ginger –1½ inch long
- for seasoning
- Curry leaves – few
- Mint leaves – few
- Lemon juice – few drops
- Salt – as per need
- Edible oil/ghee – 2 table spoon
- Soak rice for 30 minutes, then drain and keep aside; chop onion, green chilli, mint leaves.
- Wet grind grated coconut, garlic and ginger to a very smooth paste by adding required amount of water.
- Heat a pressure cooker with oil and do the seasoning with the ingredients given; add chopped green chilli, onion, curry leaves.
- Add salt and fry till onion is transparent; when the onion is half cooked, add cashew nuts and fry for few seconds or till the cashew nuts turn into golden colour; add chopped mint leaves and fry for few seconds.
- Add drained rice and fry gently in low flame for few minutes.
- Now add wet ground coconut and fry in low flame for few minutes till the raw smell of garlic and ginger leaves.
- Now add 5 cups of water (for one measure of rice, use two measure of water) and lemon juice; stir well, cover with lid and cook for 2 whistle or 5 to 6 minutes in low flame after placing the cooker weight.
- Allow the steam to release on its own and then open the lid; stir gently.
- Serve hot with Raita/Papad/Pachadi.
- Adjust quantity of water to suit the type of rice used (above water quantity is for Ponni raw rice).