Coriander seeds are used as main ingredient in this Spicy Coriander Powder (Kothamalli/Dhania Podi). This powder when mixed with few drops of ghee or sesame oil/gingelly oil/til oil in hot steamed rice tastes delicious.
Coriander seeds are used as spice and also as medicine in Indian cuisines. In folk medicine this is recommended for pith dosha. This aromatic powder mixed with rice helps to improve digestion.
Coriander seeds are known as Kothamalli vidai in Tamil and as Dhania in Hindi.
- Coriander seeds – 1 cup
- Bengal gram – handful
- Urad dal – handful
- Copra (dry coconut) – half (optional)
- Red chilli – 10 to 15 no
- Tamarind – marble size (adjust as per your need)
- Salt – as per need
- Oil – few drops to fry chilli and lentils
- Cut copra into small pieces; put it in a blender, pulse it for few seconds to make it powder and keep aside.
- Dry roast coriander seeds, remove and keep aside; in a few drops of oil fry red chilli, Bengal gram and urad dal.
- Add roasted Bengal gram, urad dal, red chilli, tamarind, salt in the blender and powder it partially.
- Add roasted coriander and grind it coarsely.
- Lastly add powdered copra and run the mixer for few seconds.
- Now the coriander powder for rice is ready. Mix it with hot steamed rice with few drops of ghee and enjoy.
- Store it in air-tight container.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!