During the season, jackfruits are sold in plenty in Tamil Nadu. As whole jackfruit is too big even for a big family, it is cut and ripe fruits inside are sold loose as per the choice of the buyer. My family members love the sweetness of ripe jackfruit. I use jackfruit seeds to prepare stir-fry and podimas. It suits well as a side dish with rice or chappati.
I also use baby jackfruit to prepare side dish.
Jackfruit seeds are known as Palakottai in Tamil.
- Skinned and cut jackfruit seeds – 2 cup
- Onion chopped – 1 no
- Green chilli chopped – 2 no
- Garlic chopped – 1 tea spoon
- Ginger chopped – 1 tea spoon
- Tomato sauce – 1 table spoon (or one tomato)
- Red chilli powder – ½ tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tea spoon
- Pepper powder – ½ tea spoon
- Cumin powder – ½ tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Cumin – ½ tea spoon
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 1 tea spoon
Here are washed, cut, skin peeled jackfruit seeds.
- Boil jackfruit seeds with little salt, turmeric powder and drain water.
- Heat a pan and do the seasoning; add green chilli, ginger, garlic, onion and fry all well.
- Add all dry spices, boiled jackfruit seeds and fry all together for few minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, mix well, keep for few seconds and remove.
- Serve hot with rice or chappati.