In most of the restaurants, I find this Red Onion Vinegar Pickle. These onions look cute and tempting. Red Onion Vinegar Pickle can be prepared easily at home. By adding little spices, it can be spicy like any other Indian pickle.
- Small red onions – 12 to 15 no
- Crystal salt powdered – 1 heaped tablespoon
- Sugar – 2 heaped tablespoon
- White vinegar – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Spices for dry grinding
- Fenugreek seeds – quarter teaspoon
- Mustard seeds – quarter teaspoon
- Coriander seeds – quarter teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – half teaspoon
- Fennel seeds – half teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – half teaspoon
- Nigella seeds/kalonji/karucheeragam – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 heaped tablespoon
- Asafetida – generous pinch
- Sugar – half teaspoon
- Salt – as per need
- Mustard oil – 2 to 3 tablespoon
Red Onion Vinegar Pickle:
- Peel and wash onions; wipe well and dry in open air for 30 minutes.
- Partially cut onions as shown and keep in a jar (cutting is not required if onions are too small).
- In a bowl mix water, vinegar, salt and sugar; stir till sugar dissolves; add this mixture with onions; close and keep it for 6 to 8 hours (keeping it longer in vinegar solution make onions more sour).
- Take out the onions from vinegar and store them in a airtight container and keep in fridge. Serve it as required (consume it within few days).
Spicy Red Onion Vinegar Pickle:
- Dry roast the above listed spices except salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, sugar.
- Grind coarsely the roasted spices; now add dry ground spice powder, sugar, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, mustard oil in the vinegar soaked onions.
- Mix well and keep for a day.
- Now aromatic Spicy Red Onion Vinegar Pickle is ready.
- Use small size onions for better results.
- Prepare in small quantity so that it can be consumed within a week.