Spring onions are also known as salad onions or green onions. They are harvested as the green leaves of onion, before developing the bulbs. Spring onions are mostly used in salad dressings and stir-fries. They are very much nutritive and healthy. You can use spring onions as greens in any dish.
I use spring onions in adai, mixed veggie and in soups. They are good source of dietary fiber and good for health. Here I have prepared Spring Onion with Potato as Stir Fry.
Cooking time: 20 minutes approximately
- Chopped spring onion leaves – 2½ cup
- Onion – 1 no
- Potato – 2 no
- Tomato – 1 no
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tea spoon
- Turmeric – ¼ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – ½ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 1½ tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Aniseeds – ½ tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 2 tea spoon
- Wash and cut spring onion into pieces; peel and cut potato; chop tomato, onion and green chilli.
- In a pan do the seasoning, add onion, green chilli and fry for few minutes; add tomato, ginger garlic paste, mix well and cook till tomatoes are soft.
- Add potatoes, fry for few seconds; add all dry masalas, salt and mix well.
- Add spring onions and mix well; close with a lid and cook in low flame till potatoes are soft.
- Serve with rice or chappati.
- If you have under developed small onions in the spring onion, use that in lieu of regular onion to give nice taste.