Fenugreek seeds are very good for health, specially for digestive problems including stomach and mouth ulcers. They are considered as good medicine for diabetic patients. Fenugreek seeds are used as spice and also as herb. Fenugreek is used in beauty treatment also. Other than seeds, its tender leaves are also relished, their sprouts are also used in salads and in curries.
Fenugreek seeds are little bitter in taste. After sprouting the bitterness in fenugreek seeds reduce considerably and they taste little sweet. I add them in fresh salads often. Here is a salad with beautiful fenugreek sprouts.
Fenugreek is known as Vendayam in Tamil and Methi in Hindi.
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
- Fenugreek sprouts – 2 table spoon
- Pearl onion peeled – 10 no
- Tomato small – 1 no
- Green chilli – 1 no
- Carrot small – 1 no
- Coriander leaves – few
- Lemon – ½ piece
- Pepper powder – ½ tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Olive oil/any oil – ½ tea spoon (optional)
- Peel and chop carrot, onion, green chilli, tomato and coriander leaves.
- In a bowl add all chopped items, sprouted fenugreek; then add pepper powder, oil, lemon juice and salt; toss well and serve.