Dhokla is traditional food of Gujarat and is liked by all for its taste and health factor. Dhokla is like idli of south India except for the spices added. Dhoklas are fermented and steam cooked. Many varieties of dhoklas are there prepared with chick pea powder (besan)/rice dal mix/semolina etc.
Here is Rice Dal Dhokla prepared with rice, toor dal, urad dal, bengal gram including fresh green peas as major ingredients without using a dhokla stand.
Cooking time: 30 minutes approximately
- Rice – 2 cup
- Toor dal – ¾ to 1 cup
- Bengal gram – ½ cup
- Urad dal – ½ cup
- Fresh peas – ½ cup
- Green chilli – 3 to 4 no
- Curd – 2 table spoon
- Chilli powder – 1 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ tea spoon
- Cooking soda – generous pinch
- Asafetida – ⅛ tea spoon
- Lemon juice – 1 table spoon
- Sugar – 1 table spoon
- Oil – 1 table spoon
- Ginger – 2 inch long
- Grated coconut and coriander leaves – 2 table spoon (for garnishing)
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard – 1 tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 1 tea spoon
- Soak rice, toor dal, urad dal and bengal gram for 4 hours; grind with salt and curd; ferment it for 10 to 12 hours.
- Grind ginger and green chilli; add in the ground batter with cooking soda, red chilli, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add sugar, asafetida powder, lemon juice, 1 table spoon of oil and mix well; the batter will be like idli batter; grease a plate or tray (I used my pressure cooker separator); pour this batter.
- Place the green peas over this and steam cook for 25 to 30 minutes or till cooked; an inserted tooth pick or knife should come out clean.
- Cool and invert on a tray.
- Cut and give seasoning.
- Garnish with coconut and serve.
- Here are the cutaway sections of Steam Cooked Rice Dal Dhokla.
- While steam cooking in cooker, cover the batter with a plate as condensed water will fall inside the batter.
- After cooking you can spray some sugar water over the dhokla to avoid getting dry.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!