Okra is known as Bhindi in Hindi and as Vendakkai in Tamil. Okra can be used to prepare Sambar, Kootu, Podi Kari, Stir Fry. Here is one more delicious dish – Pan fried Stuffed Bhindi (Okra). Though it is little time consuming to prepare, everyone at home will enjoy it.
Cooking time: 30 minutes approximately
- Okra – 16 to 20 no
- Onion – 1 no chopped
- Green chilli – 2 no chopped
- Red chilli powder – ¾ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 1 table spoon
- Gram flour (Kadalai Mavu in Tamil, Besan in Hindi) – 1½ table spoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ tea spoon
- Amchur powder (dry mango powder) – ½ tea spoon
- Roasted cumin powder – ½ tea spoon
- Garam masala powder – ¾ tea spoon
- Asafetida – pinch (optional)
- Salt –as per taste
- Oil – 2 table spoon
- Masala mix preparation for stuffing bhindi:
- Chop green chilli and onion nicely.
- Heat a pan with one tea spoon of oil; add chopped onion, green chilli and fry well.
- Add all dry powder except Bengal gram powder and fry for few seconds; add Bengal gram powder and fry in low flame for few seconds.
- Now masala mix for stuffing bhindi is ready.
- Wash and wipe okra dry with a cloth; slit okra lengthwise (do not remove the seeds).
- Now stuff carefully all okras with masala mix.
- Heat a pan with half tea spoon of oil; place 5 to 6 okras on the pan and cook in low flame; gently turn okras to all sides to cook evenly; cook till okra is soft; the colour of okra will change from green colour to light brown as it is cooked.
- Repeat the process for remaining okras also.
- Serve with Rice or Chappati.
- Use firm and tender okras.
- Dry mango powder can be replaced with lemon juice.