‘Stuffed Karela’ is a famous north Indian dish, nice to eat. Bitter gourd is stuffed with fried onion and dry masala mix. This is only a shallow fry and non-stick pans need even less oil. You don’t get the bitter taste in this.
- Marinating time: 30 to 45 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Bitter gourd (Karela) – 4 no
- Lemon (squeeze and take juice) – 1 no
- Potato (grated nicely) – 2 no
- Onion chopped – 2 no
- Green chilli chopped – 2 no
- Cooking oil – 2 table spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Dry masalas
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Chilli powder – ¾ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – ½ tea spoon
- Roasted cumin powder – ½ tea spoon
- Dry mango powder – ½ tea spoon (used for sour taste; can be replaced by lemon or tamarind)
- Garam masala powder – ½ tea spoon
- Wash and scrap the buds outside the bitter gourd lightly and keep it to to use in stuffing; slit the bitter gourd one side lengthwise with a sharp knife; remove seeds with a spoon’s back; if the seeds are tender, this also can be used in filling.
- Now mix lemon juice with little salt and apply this both outside and inside the bitter gourd; keep it to marinate for at least 30 to 45 minutes.
- Now heat a pan with ½ tea spoon oil; fry chopped onion and green chilli; when onion is transparent, add scrapped bitter gourd outer skin buds and tender seeds; fry for few minutes; add all dry masalas and salt; mix well, add grated potato; cook till all mixed and keep aside.
- Now fill each bitter gourd with the mix; lightly wind 3 to 4 times with a thin cotton white thread so that after cooking you can take out the thread easily.
- Now shallow fry in a pan with remaining oil in low flame; this will be done in 10 minutes; turn each side and cook; insert a tooth pick; if tooth pick goes smoothly it is cooked and if not, cook for few more minutes.
- Serve Stuffed Karela with Rice or Chapatti after removing the thread.
- Bitter Gourd is marinated to remove bitterness and to cook fast.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!