Sweet and Soar Dates Chutney is traditional north Indian chutney. It is normally served with Dahi Vada. This chutney is healthy too, as we add jaggery and dates (Kajur in Hindi, Pericham pazham in Tamil). I use this chutney with other chat items also.
- Dates chopped – 2 table spoon
- Cashew nut broken – 2 table spoon
- Raisins – 2 table spoon
- Jaggery grated – ½ cup
- Roasted cumin powder – ½ tea spoon
- Garam masala powder – ½ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 tea spoon
- Pepper powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Tamarind – big lemon size ball (adjust according to your taste)
- Salt – pinch
- Ghee/oil – 1 tea spoon (for seasoning)
- Cumin seeds – 1 tea spoon (for seasoning)
- Soak tamarind in 2 cups of water and extract the juice.
- In a pan do the seasoning, add tamarind water, all dry spices; bring to boil.
- When this reduces to half in volume, add jaggery; mix well and cook for 2 minutes; add chopped dates, cashew nut and raisins; mix well and cook for 2 minutes; now the chutney will be thick.
- Ready to serve with Dhahi Vada.
You can replace jaggery with sugar & tamarind with amchur (dry mango powder).