We call Okra as Vendaikai in Tamil and is known as Bhindi in north India. This is a vegetable used worldwide. It belongs to cotton family. This contains vitamin A, B6, C, riboflavin, calcium and dietary fiber. It is recommended for pregnant woman in initial stages. As it contains more dietary fiber, it is good for people on diet. Okra contain mucilage and fiber which regulate the blood sugar absorption.
- Ladies finger (Okra) – 250 grams
- Onion – 1 no
- Lemon – 1 no
- Chilli powder – 1 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Sugar – 2 tea spoon
- Oil – 2 table spoon
- Salt – according to taste
- For seasoning:
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Split black gram – ½ tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Wash and cut Okra into ¾ inch pieces.
- Chop onion and curry leaves finely.
- Heat a pan, do the seasoning; add chopped onion,fry till it becomes transparent.
- Add all dry masalas, salt and mix well.
- Add Okra pieces, fry for 2 minutes; cover with lid and keep for 3 minutes in low flame.
- Check whether Okras are cooked and if required fry for few more minutes by mixing well.
- Add sugar, lemon juice and mix well; cook for few more seconds so that sweet, sour, salt, chilli all balance evenly; this will give different lovely taste.
- Serve hot with Chappati, Paratha, Rice.
- Cook Okra in low flame and use non stick fry pan to consume less oil.