Every year the best South Asian Restaurant in United Kingdom (UK) is awarded Tiffin Cup. The nominations of the restaurants come from Members of Parliament who belong to the Tiffin Club. This year Veetee Tiffin Cup 2009 was held on July 15. ‘Tamasha’, restaurant in Bromley, south London received the award.
The Tiffin Cup
This is an annual competition to identify the best South Asian Restaurant in UK. The award is given by the Tiffin Club of MPs, formed in 2006 by John Barrett MP, Michael Fabricant MP and Keith Vaz MP, to encourage the quality of South Asian food in the UK and to raise money to support a charity. The restaurants eligible to participate for South Asian food are: Bangladeshi, Cambodian, Cantonese, Chinese, Filipino, Indian, Indonesian, Malaysian, Nepalese, Pakistani, Singaporean, Sri Lanka, Taiwanese, Thai, Vietnamese and so on.
Each MP nominates the best restaurant from his/her constituency through public participation. After the nominations, 10 entrants will be short listed and invited to a special cook-in at Parliament, where the overall winner for the UK will be assessed. The winning restaurant gets a year’s supply of Cobra Beer and the Tiffin Cup. Also the proceeds are given for charity.
Previous winners of Tiffin Cup are: Taj Mahal Indian Restaurant, in/near Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales Mid (in 2006), Bekash restaurant of Romford, Essex (in 2007), Mint and Mustard of Cardiff, Wales (in 2008).
Veetee Tiffin Cup 2009
This year, 58 restaurants were nominated nationwide for the 4th year of competition. Only 11 restaurants were short listed to participate in the final that was held at Bellamy’s restaurant in the House of Commons, London to support an orphanage in India.
Here are the restaurants shortlisted to participate (alphabetically listed):
- Cinnamon Lounge in Kings Langley.
- Haweli Indian restaurant in Twyford.
- Jalsagor restaurant of St Owen Street, Hereford.
- Lawthorn Farm Indian Restaurant in Irvine.
- Planet Papadum in Great Yarmouth.
- Preem restaurant of Newtown.
- Romsey Purbani in Romsey, Hampshire.
- Shajan Indian Restaurant, in Clayton-le-Dale, Blackburn
- Spice Bazaar restaurant of Dartmouth.
- Tamasha restaurant in Bromley, south London.
- Zaara’s Restaurant, in Bradford Road, Shipley.
The winners are:
- First: ‘Tamasha’, restaurant in Bromley, south London.
- Second: ‘Planet Papadum’ in Great Yarmouth.
Read more from