Thakkali Kurma is a simple gravy that goes well with rice and south Indian snacks. Though the number of ingredients used looks more, this popular dish of Tamil Nadu needs less time to prepare. Even office going working women can prepare this kurma comfortably in the morning as a side dish for break fast items.
Tomato is known as Thakkali in Tamil and as Tomatar in Hindi.
Cooking time: 20 minutes approximately
- Tomato – 8 to 10 no (cut into two as I used small ones; if big, cut them into fours)
- Onion chopped – 1 no
- Green chilli cut – 2 no
- Red chilli powder – ½ tea spoon
- Fresh cream or milk – 2 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – pinch
- Coriander leaves – few
- Salt – as per taste
- To grind
- Coconut cut – ½ cup
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Fried chick peas (Pottu Kadalai) – 1 tea spoon
- Fennel seed – ½ tea spoon
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Onion cut – few pieces
- Ginger – small piece
- For seasoning
- Fennel seeds – 1 tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 1 table spoon
- Grind the items given for grinding to a smooth fine paste and keep.
- Heat a pan, do the seasoning; add onion and fry till golden in colour.
- Then add chopped tomato and fry for few minutes; add salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and fry for few seconds.
- Add some water and cook tomato till soft.
- Now add ground spices, mix and boil for few minutes.
- Adjust the consistency as required; lastly add cream or milk, boil for few seconds and switch off gas.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice or any snack item.
- Use red, ripe, juicy tomato and fresh coconut.