Thakkali Thokku is a typical Indian pickle/chutney/spread. It goes well with rice, roti, idli, dosa, bread and so on. As a spread this suits to all Indian food as a side dish. I prepare this mostly when tomatoes are available at lesser price during the season. This can be preserved in refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks. Without refrigeration this has to be consumed within a week.
Tomato is known as Thakkali (தக்காளி) in Tamil.
- Tomato (sour variety) – 12 no
- Green chilli – 15 no (adjust as per need)
- Asafetida powder – half teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – quarter teaspoon
- Tamarind paste – quarter teaspoon
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Pickle powder – 1 tablespoon (one teaspoon fenugreek, half teaspoon each of cumin and mustard; all roasted and powdered)
- Salt – as per need
- For seasoning
- Mustard – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Sesame oil – 5 tablespoon
- Chop tomato, green chilli; grind together tomato, green chilli, turmeric powder, asafetida powder, salt and tamarind paste to a fine paste.
- Heat a wide pan with 4 tablespoon of oil; do seasoning with mustard and curry leaves; add the ground paste.
- Let it boil and keep stirring at short intervals till the paste is reduced to half the quantity by volume.
- Add sugar, pickle powder and keep cooking.
- Add remaining one tablespoon oil and cook till the mixer leaves the pan without sticking.
- Cool it to room temperature and store. Serve as a side dish.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!