Thalippu Vengaya Vadagam is a ready to use instant seasoning. My mother in law uses this vadagam for seasoning in some curries like kara kuzhambu, sambar and some kootu. She even prepares thuvayal with this. This gives a nice aroma and taste to the curry. This is prepared at home during summer season in Tamil Nadu. I’m not sure whether this vadagam is prepared in any other states of India.
This year I too prepared it. This is shaped like balls and only 1 tea spoon of this is sufficient for seasoning.
For the given quantity of ingredients, I got 5 balls (to the size of an apple) of vadagam.
- Pearl onions – ½ kg
- Garlic small variety – 3 bulbs
- Mustard – 2 table spoon
- Fenugreek seeds – 2 table spoon
- Cumin seeds – 2 table spoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 table spoon
- Split black gram or urad dal – 3 table spoon
- Curry leaves – few strings
- Table salt (crystal form) – handful
- Food grade castor oil/sesame oil – 25 to 50 ml
- Soak urad dal for half an hour; wash two to three times; add mustard, fenugreek, cumin seeds together and wash/drain; it helps to remove impurities.
- Peel onion, garlic and chop finely.
- Chop curry leaves; in a bowl, add all ingredients including urad dal except oil; mix well.
- Keep this covered for one day; dry it in direct sunlight; here are day 2 morning and evening photographs.
- On third day, add oil and mix well; shape it into apple or big lemon sized balls and dry it again in direct sunlight.
- Drying is faster if it is in loose form; I dried it in loose form; here are day 3 morning and evening photographs.
- As it starts drying the weight and volume of vadagam reduces; now when I shaped it, I could make only 5 apple sized balls; here are day 4 morning and evening photographs dried in ball shape.
- I further dried it in loose form for one more day till urad dal is very crisp.
- Now Thalippu Vengaya Vadagam as an instant ready to use seasoning is ready.
- This can be stored for almost an year if dried properly (till next summer season).
- Tasty thuvayal can also be prepared with this.
Here is Drumstick Sambar using the above Thalippu Vadagam for seasoning.
- Here is how to prepare Drumstick Sambar.
- In a fry pan do the seasoning with the above Thalippu Vengaya Vadagam.
- When vadagam is fully fried and crisp, mix it with Sambar.
- Do not over-fry vadagam to avoid blackening during seasoning.