In Tamil Nadu, traditional Thalippu Vengaya Vadagam is used as an instant seasoning in some dishes like kara kuzhambu/sambar/kootu. This vadagam can also be used to prepare a nice chutney/thuvayal. It goes well as a side dish to idli/dosa and also with hot steamed rice.
I used coconut, red chilli and tamarind with vadagam to prepare this Thalippu Vengaya Vadagam (South Indian Seasoning) Chutney/Thuvayal.
- Red chilli – 6 no
- Grated coconut – 2 heaped tablespoon
- Vadagam – 2 heaped tablespoon
- Tamarind – small goose berry size
- Salt – as per need
- Oil – 2 teaspoon
- Heat a pan with little oil; fry red chilies, then add tamarind and fry for few seconds; then add grated coconut, fry for few seconds and remove.
- Add remaining oil, fry vadagam till brown and crisp.
- Now all fried ingredients are ready for grinding.
- In a mixer grinder, take fried red chilli, coconut, tamarind and salt; add water as needed to grind it to a paste.
- Now add fried vadagam and grind for few more seconds as a coarse paste and remove.
- Now aromatic Thalippu Vengaya Vadagam (South Indian Seasoning) Chutney/Thuvayal is ready.
- Serve this Vadagam Chutney/Thuvayal with idli/dosa, steamed rice or curd rice.
- For better results, vadagam should be fried in low flame with little oil till brown and crisp.