Thengai (Coconut) Thuvayal is prepared in many ways with slight variations. This is a very good side dish for rice and can be mixed with rice also to eat. Sometimes used as side dish for snacks. Coconut is known as Thengai in Tamil and as Nariyal in Hindi.
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Coconut – 1/8th of a full coconut
- Green chilli – 1 no
- Red chilli – 1 no
- Tamarind – peanut size (adjust as per your taste)
- Ginger – small piece
- Urad dal – handful
- Asafetida powder – pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – ½ tea spoon
- Peel and cut ginger into pieces; cut coconut into pieces.
- Heat a pan, add red chilli, urad dal, asafetida powder and fry till urad dal is red; then add ginger, curry leaves, green chilli and fry for few seconds; then add coconut and fry for few seconds; remove and allow it to cool.
- Grind all fried items with tamarind by adding little water.
- Enjoy aromatic Thengai Thuvayal with rice.
- Use fresh coconut.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!