I love the combination of jaggery and coconut milk, because jaggery is healthy as it contains some iron and coconut milk gives a rich taste to the dish.
Coconut milk is known as Thengai Paal in Tamil.
- Kozhukattai mavu (dough) – 1 cup (how to prepare dough is at Coconut and Masala Ammini Kozhukattai)
- Grated jaggery – ¾ cup (adjust as per taste)
- Coconut milk – 2 cup
- Cardamom powder – ½ tea spoon
- Dough for Paal Kozhukattai: Boil 2 cups of water with pinch of salt and few drops of oil; add rice flour quickly and stir continuously to form the dough; after cooling, knead it to a soft dough (more details on how to prepare dough is at Coconut and Masala Ammini Kozhukattai).
- Paal Kozhukattai: Make small oblong balls (cylindrical in shape) with the above dough with oiled fingers and keep.
- Boil two cups of water (if you extract coconut milk at home, use the second shift milk for boiling kozhukattais); add half of the rolled kozhukattais.
- After few minutes, you can see them floating on the surface; it denotes they are cooked now; add remaining and cook in low flame till all float; stir occasionally not frequently.
- Meanwhile boil jaggery with one cup of water for 4 to 5 minutes or till raw smell leaves from jaggery.
- Now filter and add jaggery-water in boiling kozhukattais; also add cardamom powder and boil for few seconds.
- Then add coconut milk, boil for few seconds only and remove. Paal kozhukattai is now ready.
- Serve hot or cold.
- You can also use normal milk in lieu of coconut milk.
- Paal Kozhukattai gets thickened after cooling.