Tomato rice is very much suitable for lunch box and is a favorite dish of children too. Though many variations of tomato rice is available, I have prepared it in the authentic way. In my home, even onion is not used in this recipe but I have added one onion.
Cooking time: 30 minutes approximately
- Cooked rice – 4 cups
- Tomato – 5 no
- Onion – 1 no
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Ginger – small piece
- Turmeric – ¼ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – ½ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – ½ tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Bengal gram – 1 tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Red chilli – 2 no
- Asafetida – 2 pinch
- Curry and coriander leaves – few
- Sesame oil/ any other oil – 2 tea spoon
- Cook rice, as such the cooked grains are separated well and not sticky.
- Chop onion, tomato, ginger, green chilli, curry and coriander leaves.
- Heat a pan with oil , add mustard, then Bengal gram, urad dal, asafetida, broken red chilli; then add chopped curry, coriander leaves; add onion, ginger, green chilli chopped; fry till onion is transparent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, fry for 2 minutes; add all dry powders given and salt; cook until tomatoes are soft and mashed with spatula.
- Switch of flame, then add cooked rice, mix well gently.
- Colourful tomato rice is ready; serve with any dry vegetable fry, pachadi and papad.
- If rice is not cooked with grains separated, do not worry; cool the rice below fan, then apply few drops of oil and gently mix; you get cooked grains separated which is suitable for all fried rices.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!