Tomato rice is very much suitable for lunch box and is a favorite dish of children too. Though many variations of tomato rice is available, I have prepared it in the authentic way. In my home, even onion is not used in this recipe but I have added one onion.
Cooking time: 30 minutes approximately
- Cooked rice – 4 cups
- Tomato – 5 no
- Onion – 1 no
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Ginger – small piece
- Turmeric – ¼ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – ½ tea spoon
- Coriander powder – ½ tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Bengal gram – 1 tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Red chilli – 2 no
- Asafetida – 2 pinch
- Curry and coriander leaves – few
- Sesame oil/ any other oil – 2 tea spoon
- Cook rice, as such the cooked grains are separated well and not sticky.
- Chop onion, tomato, ginger, green chilli, curry and coriander leaves.
- Heat a pan with oil , add mustard, then Bengal gram, urad dal, asafetida, broken red chilli; then add chopped curry, coriander leaves; add onion, ginger, green chilli chopped; fry till onion is transparent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, fry for 2 minutes; add all dry powders given and salt; cook until tomatoes are soft and mashed with spatula.
- Switch of flame, then add cooked rice, mix well gently.
- Colourful tomato rice is ready; serve with any dry vegetable fry, pachadi and papad.
- If rice is not cooked with grains separated, do not worry; cool the rice below fan, then apply few drops of oil and gently mix; you get cooked grains separated which is suitable for all fried rices.