In this soup, I added little green gram to thicken soup and to improve the taste and nutritive value. Also I used spices by tying them in a clean cloth while boiling and removed it later. This gives mild flavor to the soup. I used cream to garnish soup without using milk in the soup.
Tomato is known as Thakkali in Tamil and as Tomatar in Hindi.
For the given quantity of ingredients, I got 8 to 10 cups of soup.
Cooking time: 30 minutes approximately
- Tomato – 10 no (use both round and oval)
- Carrot – 1 no
- Vegetable stock – 4 cup
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Ginger – one inch long piece
- Onion – 1 no
- Split green gram – 1 table spoon
- Sugar – ½ tea spoon
- Corn flour – 1 table spoon
- Freshly ground black pepper powder – 1 tea spoon (adjust as per taste)
- Low fat butter – 1 tea spoon
- Few mint leaves – for adding in last step for flavor
- Low fat Cream – 1 table spoon for garnishing
- Salt – as per taste
- Spices to be tied in a cloth
- Cinnamons stick – 2 inch long
- Cloves – 3 no
- Green cardamom – 2 no
- Aniseeds – ½ tea spoon
- Cumin seeds – ½ tea spoon
- Chop onion, garlic, ginger, carrot and tomato; in a cooker add chopped tomato, ginger, garlic, carrot and onion; add washed green gram, 2 cups of water, spices (tied in a cloth); cook for two whistles and allow it to cool; remove the cloth tied with spices (hereafter it is not needed).
- Blend it lightly in a mixer; filter and keep the pulp.
- In a pan add butter, corn flour and mix; cook in low flame for few seconds; add ½ cup water, mix briskly; cook for a minute; add vegetable stock, ground tomato pulp and mix it; adjust water consistency as per your need.
- Add salt, pepper and sugar; remove just before boiling state; add mint leaves.
- Garnish with cream and serve hot.
- Combination of oval and round shaped tomatoes help to balance sour taste (round ones have thin skin with more juice and sour; oval ones have thick skin, less juice and slightly sweet).
- Sugar also helps to balance the taste.
- Remove the soup from flame just before boiling point to get creamy texture in soup.