Ridge gourd (Peerkankai in Tamil and Tori in Hindi) is used in cooking all over India. Ridge gourd consists of more water and after cooking the volume of the final dish reduces almost to half. Fully matured and dried ridge gourd is used as bathing sponge. Here I prepared Tori (Peerkankai) Sabji.
Cooking time: 20 minutes approximately
- Peerkankai (Ridge gourd) – 4 no
- Onion – 1 no
- Tomato – 1 no
- Green chilli – 1 no
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – ¾ tea spoon
- Coriander powder -1 tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 1 tea spoon
- Wash, peel and cut ridge gourd into round pieces; keep the skin to make Thuvayal.
- Chop onion, tomato, green chilli and curry leaves.
- Heat a pan with oil, then do the seasoning; add chopped onion, fry till transparent; add tomato, cook till soft; add salt, other dry powder given and fry for few seconds.
- Add ridge gourd pieces, mix well and cook; as ridge gourd gives out more water, cook till all water get evaporated.
- Delicious Tori (Peerkankai) sabji is ready.
- As ridge gourd gives out more water, keep the pan open while cooking.
- Select tender ridge gourd to reduce wastage.