Here I prepared an authentic ‘Ulundu Sevai’ using ready to cook rice sevai. It is a mix of cooked rice sevai and spiced urad dal. As this sevai is a combination of rice and dal with less oil and spices, it suits well as a healthy breakfast or even as a snack.
Serves: 4 to 6
Cooking time: 30 minutes approximately
- Ready to cook Rice Sevai – 200 gm
- Skinned black gram or urad dal – 1 cup
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Red chilli – 2 no
- Ginger – small piece
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Asafetida powder – ⅛th of tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 1 table spoon
- Soak urad dal for one hour and grind with red chilli, green chilli, ginger, salt, asafetida powder and turmeric to a coarse thick paste using less water; steam it like idli for 8 to10 minutes; allow it to cool and crumble it nicely.
- Cook rice sevai as per the instructions given by the manufacturer.
- Now do the seasonings in a pan, add crumbled urad dal mix and fry for few minutes only as this is already cooked; switch off gas, mix with cooked rice sevai.
- Serve hot with any chutney.
Wet grind urad dal with spices coarsely.
This post is part of the event “WYF: Specialty food” hosted by Simple Indian Food.