Kanji is prepared as sweet or savory with many cereals like rice, wheat, ragi, oats and so on. Lentils are mixed with rice to cook kanji with a creamy texture.
Here I have prepared Ulundu (Urad Dal) Kanji. Though it is called as Urad Dal Kanji, rice is also used in this. This is a very light and traditional food. Cooking time is also very less. I learned this from my mother-in-law. A food without oil and cooked soft is always good for sick people. Black gram is known as Ulundu in Tamil and as Urad dal in Hindi.
Cooking time: 20 to 25 minutes
- Rice – 1 cup
- Urad dal white – ⅓ cup
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Garlic chopped – 4 cloves
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tea spoon
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Roast urad dal in a dry pan till golden or nice flavor comes from that; dry roast cumin and fenugreek seeds also separately like this.
- Wash rice and put it in a cooker; add all roasted items, grated coconut and chopped garlic; add 4 cups of water; pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistle.
- Nice aroma fills your home when this cooks; allow it to cool; mash partially with churner; add salt and 1 cup of water and mix well.
- Adjust water consistency according to your need. I cooked it semi solid.
- Serve hot with roasted Papad and any Thuvayal.
- Those who don’t like garlic replace it with a pinch of asafetida.