Cooking time: approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- Whole Black gram (Urad dal) – 1 cup
- Potato – 3 no
- Tomato – 2 no
- Green chilli – 2 no
- Onion – 1 no
- Garlic – 6 pods
- Ginger – one inch long piece
- Coriander leaves – few
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 2 tea spoon
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Oil – 2 tea spoon
- Salt – as per taste
- For Seasoning
- Cumin seeds (jeera) – 1/2 tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Chop garlic, ginger, green chilli and tomato nicely.
- Wash Urad dal, put it in a pressure cooker and add 5 cups of water.
- Now add chopped items, turmeric powder and few drops of oil with the gram in the cooker.
- Close the lid of the cooker and cook it at least for 20 minutes or till Urad dal is very soft to mash.
- Open the cooker after cooling down, mash Urad dal partially and keep it aside.
- Peel, cut the potatoes to halves, boil it or microwave cook it as just done.
- Now chop onion finely and keep a pan on fire and heat the oil.
- Add cumin seeds, curry leaves then fry till onion becomes light golden colour.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, boiled/microwave cooked potato, salt and fry for few seconds.
- Now add mashed Urad dal, garam masala powder, one cup water and cook for 3 minutes.
- Now Urad Dal (Black Gram) and Potato Curry is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves and cream (optional) serve hot.
- no soaking time required for Urad dal.
- mash pressure cooked Urad dal partially.
Suitable with Rice and Chappati.