Vallarai is known as Pennywort and comes under edible greens. It plays a vital role in Ayurveda medicine. It is believed to improve memory power by re-vitalizing brain and nervous system. It is also believed to delay aging process.
In south Indian homes though Vallarai Keerai tastes little different, it is occasionally cooked considering the health benefits. It is also available as vallarai juice, candies in shops. Here I have prepared Vallarai Keerai Thuvayal using these leaves.
- Vallarai leaves – 2 cup (loosely packed)
- Split black gram – handful
- Red chilli – 2 no
- Grated coconut – 1 table spoon
- Ginger – 1 inch long piece
- Tamarind – marble size
- Asafetida – pinch
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – ½ tea spoon
- Wash vallarai leaves; heat a pan with oil; add red chilli, split black gram, asafetida powder and fry; when the gram is red, add cut ginger, tamarind and fry for few seconds.
- Then add vallarai leaves and fry for few seconds.
- Then add coconut and fry for a second; remove and allow it to cool.
- Grind to a coarse paste with salt; adjust consistency as per your requirement.
- Tasty Vallarai Keerai Thuvayal is ready.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!