Drumstick tree leaves are called as Murungai Keerai in Tamil. These leaves are rich in calcium and other minerals. In Tamil Nadu both are combined and cooked as a tasty Vazhai Poo Murungai Keerai Poriyal.
Serves: 4 to 6
Cooking time: 15 to 20 minutes
Before we proceed to the dish, let us view the photographs of Vazhai Poo and Murungai Keerai.
- Vazhai Poo (Banana flower) cleaned and cut – 2 cup
- Murungai Keerai (Drumstick leaves) – 1½ cup
- Onion – 1 no
- Green gram (Paasi paruppu) – ½ cup
- Grated coconut – ½ cup
- Salt –as per taste
- For seasoning
- Mustard – ½ tea spoon
- Urad dal – ½ tea spoon
- Red chilli – 3 to 4 no (broken in to pieces)
- Turmeric powder – pinch
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 2 tea spoon
- Soak green gram in water for 15 minutes; clean drumstick leaves, wash and keep; chop onion and curry leaves.
- Heat a pan with oil, do the seasoning; add chopped onion and fry till onion is transparent; add chopped vazhai poo.
- Add soaked green gram, mix well and sprinkle handful of water; cook for 5 minutes.
- When vazhai poo is half cooked, add salt, murungai keerai; add handful of water, mix and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now both are cooked; add grated coconut and cook for 1 minute.
- Tasty Vazhai Poo Murungai Keerai Poriyal is ready.
- Serve hot with rice.
- Use only tender drumstick leaves.
- Do not overcook murungai keerai. It cooks fast and over cooking may change the taste of it.
- Instead of green gram, you can also use toor dal (red gram).