This traditional Vazhakai (Raw Banana) fry is liked by children more and goes well with variety rice and curd rice. I prepare this as a side dish for Chitranna and on Amavasya days. It is easy to cook and is also suitable for lunch box.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Vazhakai (Raw banana) – 1 medium size
- Nicely chopped onion – ½ tea spoon
- Aniseed – ¼ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – ¾ tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Asafetida – pinch
- Salt – as per taste
- Cooking oil – 1 tea spoon
- Wash and slightly peel the green layer of raw banana and cut raw banana horizontally to ¼ inch pieces; put them in the salt water and keep for 5 minutes; wash well and drain water.
- Heat a pan with oil, add aniseeds, curry leaves, asafetida and fry for few seconds; add chopped onion and fry till soft.
- Add raw banana pieces, mix gently; add chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix; cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now remove the lid, turn the raw banana pieces, cover again with the lid and cook for 2 more minutes or till done.
- Now crispy raw banana fry is ready.
- Apply few drops of oil in your hands before peeling the green skin of raw banana to avoid stickiness.
- Cook in low flame as far as possible to avoid blackening of banana pieces.
Did you find this article useful? Please subscribe to our RSS Feed to receive all the FREE updates on various articles!