This traditional Vazhakai (Raw Banana) fry is liked by children more and goes well with variety rice and curd rice. I prepare this as a side dish for Chitranna and on Amavasya days. It is easy to cook and is also suitable for lunch box.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Vazhakai (Raw banana) – 1 medium size
- Nicely chopped onion – ½ tea spoon
- Aniseed – ¼ tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – ¾ tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tea spoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Asafetida – pinch
- Salt – as per taste
- Cooking oil – 1 tea spoon
- Wash and slightly peel the green layer of raw banana and cut raw banana horizontally to ¼ inch pieces; put them in the salt water and keep for 5 minutes; wash well and drain water.
- Heat a pan with oil, add aniseeds, curry leaves, asafetida and fry for few seconds; add chopped onion and fry till soft.
- Add raw banana pieces, mix gently; add chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix; cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now remove the lid, turn the raw banana pieces, cover again with the lid and cook for 2 more minutes or till done.
- Now crispy raw banana fry is ready.
- Apply few drops of oil in your hands before peeling the green skin of raw banana to avoid stickiness.
- Cook in low flame as far as possible to avoid blackening of banana pieces.